Highway named in honor of Jasper fallen war hero | News
BAY SPRINGS, MS (WDAM)- A Vietnam War hero who was killed in action nearly 45 years ago has been honored by the State of Mississippi and his native Jasper County. Tuesday night, a portion of Highway 15 in Bay Springs was officially dedicated in honor of Richard Alexandra 'Dickie' Ware.
Ware was killed in combat in 1968 while trying to save the life of a fellow soldier.
He was just 21 years old.
"Dickie Ware was a hero and he's honored as a hero and we're proud to honor him with naming this highway after (him)," said Tom King, Southern District transportation commissioner.
"Dickie would have said that he didn't deserve this honor...that all the military soldiers are the ones to be honored," said Mary Russell, Ware's sister.
"He was very excited about going to the Army," said Gail Randolph, another sister of Ware. "He loved America and he always had a big smile on his face for everybody," she said.
Ware had only been serving in the Army for 16 months when he was killed.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Jasper County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment